Wednesday, January 16, 2008

24+ Hours of chemo completed


Thanks for your prayers. Christen's pain level in her knee has decreased substantially and the nausea is being managed through heavy medication. She slept almost all day with exception of about 45 minutes this evening. She is sleeping again now. She is not looking forward to 10 months of this, and was feeling discouraged about it this evening. Her face is a bit swollen, possibly due to the extra hydration fluid and/or the steroids she has been receiving. They are monitoring this.

She will be getting another round of cisplatinum tonight from 10 PM to 2 AM, all the while receiving the slow doxyrubicin drip which ends tomorrow night at 7:30 PM. Then she will have another 12 hours of hydration, and then we should be able to go home if she can keep down fluids and food.

Pray that Leanne can go home soon. She had a set back today so will have to stay a little longer. Also pray that her roommate will sleep quietly tonight so she can rest.

Please keep praying for peace of mind for the rest of our children. Pray also that Debbie will be able to get a good rest tonight. Last night she was up at least once every hour. We do thank God for giving us a private room thus far.

Thanks to Bob and Jane, and Louie, Ben and Megan for visiting Christen today. It meant a lot to her even though she couldn't visit with them. Thanks to all of you for your concern, love, and prayers. You all have been such an encouragement to us.

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28. We give praise to God that even though we don't understand all that He is doing, we do know that He is faithful, and He is doing a good thing.

Steve & Debbie for the family

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

God be with you. I'd like Christen's e address. Please.

Johnnie Baum / The Hatteras Island Poet

Murphy Family said...

God be with you, to encourage and strengthen you and give you the perseverance you need. I know it has to be very hard to be at this side of the mountain, but you will get to the other side.
Below are the words to a beautiful song about perseverance - sometime I'll have to play it for you.
We love you!

I'm climbing a mountain just over the valley,
A mountain so high I can't see to the top;
I stood at the bottom and wondered if I could make it,
Then something within me said I had to try.

So mountain, move over 'cause I'm climbin' to heaven;
I know that the way is rough and hard,
but I'll reach the other side.

I'm crossing a river just over the mountain,
There's people who say it's too deep and too wide;
But there is a man they don't know who will guide me,
He's been there before so I'll follow behind.

So river, just bow your head and let us walk over,
'Cause I'm gonna sing and dance on you 'till I reach the other side.

The mountain and river are now far behind me,
I know it was hard, but it seems like a dream;
I'm feasting on riches and drinking from fountains.
Of sweet Living Water that never runs dry.

There is no mountain that's too high to cross over,
There is no river so deep you will drown.
So lift up your eyes and look beyond the horizon,
Follow the morning sun and like me you will find the other side.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting the picture. We love you so. God will not leave nor forsake you.

Anonymous said...

Love the photo- but one question...why the suspicious grin on Louie's face? Is he slipping her chicken soup via the IV or bringing in some other contraband??? I hope so!
Becky

Nancy said...

Michael and I are praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

We're praying for all of you. Praying for sleep, for the anti-nausea meds to work, and for perseverance as you deal with each step of the journey.
We used to joke about Brian's "sausage toes" from the steroids...
Elizabeth (and Brian) Wheatley

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie & Steve,
I wish I could be there to share the rough moments with you. Mom, myself, and the rest are always thinking of all of you, esp. Mom is praying day & night for dear Christen. May God be with all of you. If there is anything that I can do, I'd feel honored to be able to help.
Love you all,
Sima & family

seldad8 said...

Johnnie,

Thanks for the note. Please e-mail me at seldad8@gmail.com.

Steve